Thursday, February 12, 2009

Vegas Update

We are having a great time in Vegas. I did manage to find some groceries on Tuesday at a gas station a few blocks past our end of the strip. So I have been eating PB&J sandwiches, cheetos, cereal and yogurt during the day since then. I am surprised at how expensive everything is down here. It is very difficult to eat a meal under $10. Even McDonald's value menus are $7.00 and Starbucks coffee is much more expensive than in MN.

Yesterday I walked the strip while Jamie was in class all day. I walked for 3 straight hours, and my calves are so sore today!! I went into a few of the hotels that have gone up since we were here six years ago. Vegas is a fun place, but you can't walk down the street without somebody trying to hand you something, sell you something or trying to get you to look at a timeshare. I am also shocked as to how many Starbucks are in this town. Every hotel I went into had at least one, and our hotel has three. Wow! And there are always lines at them.

Last night, we went to a reception for Minnesota PT's. It was fun to meet some of Jamie's students and some of the university professors that he does assistant teaching for. We spent some time in the casino afterward. Neither one of us are big gamblers, but so far we are up about $100 in gambling for the trip. Yeah!

This afternoon, we are going to see "Defending the Caveman" at Excalibur. It is a comedy show about the difference between the genders. Hopefully it will be pretty funny! After that, we are heading to downtown Vegas. We didn't make it downtown last time we were here, so we are looking forward to checking it out.

I am having a fabulous time. It has been great to do whatever I feel like doing during the day. I have met a lot of really nice people. It is a very pleasant surprise to see that people are generally very friendly and considerate. I was in a line this morning for show tickets, and the line was outside. It is pretty chilly here and I didn't have a coat on, so a guy in line in front of me offered me his coat because I looked cold. I thought that was very kind. We have talked to people from all over...New Zealand, London, Philadelphia, Kentucky...and they have all been fun to converse with.

The girls have been doing well without us. Kathy (daycare) has been giving rave reviews about how good they are, although she is surprised how much they can eat! We are very happy that things have been working out well with their care for the week. We do miss them, but it has been a refreshing break. We had forgotten what our lives were like before having kids!

We are flying back tomorrow night, we land about 11:30 pm Minnesota time. Hope you are having a great week!

1 comment:

terri browne said...

I'm glad you're having fun on your trip. Have a safe flight home!