I don't typically consider myself to be a nervous parent. I usually tend to let the girls explore and try things on their own to allow them to learn from various situations. Yesterday, we were playing in our driveway when our 8-year-old neighbor Jack came over and asked if the girls could play in his yard with him and his 5-year-old sister. They live right across the street, so I felt pretty safe about it and said sure. Jack held the girls' hands as they crossed the street, and then they ventured into his backyard to play. I found myself glancing into their backyard about every 30 seconds to make sure the girls were okay. This was the first time they were out of our sight while playing at a neighbor's house. They were having a blast (of course), so I don't know why I was so nervous. What is it that is ingrained in a parent to worry?
I look at my girls and am amazed at how much they have grown. Most traces of the baby stages are gone. Their cribs have been exchanged for twin beds. Diapers and sippy cups have almost been replaced with panties and big girl cups. Rattles have been replaced with baby strollers and their own baby dolls. Simple words have been replaced with complete sentences and independent thoughts and opinions. Walking has been replaced with running and climbing up the big equipment at the park.
We feel like we repeat ourselves with the same things about a hundred times a day.
Sit at the table until you're done eating.
Please ask nicely.
Don't bug your sister.
Don't hang on the bathroom sink. (This is their new favorite no-no.)
Leave the light on until everyone leaves the room.
Don't climb on the back of the couch.
Olivia/Violet had it first. Please give it back.
Then they do something that surprises you, and that you didn't give them credit to be able to do.
The girls have still been wearing diapers at night. Last night they took a bath earlier than usual, so we put them in panties and forgot to change them into diapers at bedtime. This morning, I was in the bathroom getting ready for work and Olivia came walking in and made a beeline for the toilet. She usually gives me a hug first, so I was a little taken back by what was going on. When she pulled down her pants and I saw she was wearing panties, it dawned on me that we had made a mistake. I envisioned having to wash sheets and scrub mattresses. Then I realized that Olivia was dry. I gave her a high five, and she said "I'm a superstar!" A few minutes later, Violet got up. She hasn't been doing as well with going on the potty, so I figured she had a wet bed for sure. She came walking into the bathroom, and when I put her on the potty she was dry as well. I gave her a big high five and she beamed.
When you least expect it, you feel so proud to be a parent.
2011 State Fair in Pictures
14 years ago
1 comment:
Good job Olivia and Violet! They really are growing up so fast!
Post a Comment